No-Cream Creamy Potato Soup

I make this super-delicious soup all winter long. I have tweaked this and tweaked this to (what I consider) perfection. It's very flavorful. NO butter and NO cream!! (And no "floury" taste!) This recipe makes 9 generous 2-cup servings, only 242 calories each! 242 calories for 2 cups of creamy soup?? Can't beat that! Don't let the nutrition fool you: it's powerfully delicious and gets gushing reviews whenever I serve it.
INGREDIENTS
6 cups peeled and cubed potatoes*
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced carrots or matchstick carrots
2 Tbs "Better than bouillion"
4 cups water
1 tbs dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt**
2 pinch ground black pepper
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
2 cups chopped/diced ham -- One 9 oz package of deli lunchmeat brown sugar ham works perfectly

DIRECTIONS In a large pot, add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken bouillon, water, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper and simmer covered until vegetables become tender (approx 45-60 minutes.) Stir occasionally.

When veggies are tender, in a separate bowl (or food processor) mix flour and milk. Once it is well blended, add to soup mixture and cook until soup becomes thick (approx 5-7 minutes).

Take a potato masher and gently smash around the pot, just enough to squash some of the potato chunks, but not all. It makes the soup creamier!
Stir in cheese, cooked ham and simmer until cheese is melted (approx 1-3 minutes). Serve! Yummy!

*Try not to make any changes until you have tried it this way first! Adding more potatoes, water, or milk totally changes the end result. When you are boiling the veggies, it may look like there is not enough water. Trust in the process!!

**Add more salt if needed, but remember that with leftovers, the salt will have had a chance to leak out of the ham, so be careful you don't overdo it!

Comments

We just ate this for dinner & it was DELISH. I always worry about cream soups that claim to be low cal because it tastes FLOUR-Y. But this was really good and I made it EXACTLY as you said! Thank you!!
xo
Andrea
KWit said…
I just wanted to tell you that that soup is AMAZING! I agree with you that it is to perfection! And with my diet ahhh I mean healthy way of eating it fits in so perfect. Thanks so much. I love your cooking and get so excited when you have done another recepie.
Heather B said…
We made this tonight and it was AMAZING!!! We didn't even put in any meat, but followed the directions perfectly otherwise, and it was SO totally good!!!
By the way, I'm totally counting calories now, and I so TOTALLY appreciate you putting the caloric value on these recipes. You rock, my friend! Love ya!
Bonnie said…
I made this for dinner tonight. We loved it!

Popular posts from this blog

Orange BBQ Chicken Kabobs

Homestyle Turkey, The Michigander Way

Chicken Enchiladas